Whew, this Thursday I am thinking out loud about a lot of things on a variety of subjects!
1. I saw this in Costco the other day and had a major deja vu moment.
Did anyone else have Care Bears as a kid? Mine (well, they were the family’s but whatever) looked just like this, only the were like a 20th of the size and plastic. With a little frizz of fake colored hair. I can’t believe they are making a reappearance! I don’t know the story there, but I do know I had totally forgotten about their existence until I saw them at Costco.
2. I am so mad that I can never manage to see The Little Dipper anymore! When I was little, it used to be my special constellation, and whenever I was out at night, I would find it. Somehow, whether I never had it right, or my brain got mixed up over the years, I found out a few years ago that what I thought was The Little Dipper was really The Seven Sisters! So it’s been my mission to see the real Little Dipper, but no matter how hard I stare and squint and use my star app, I cannot seem to see it. I can find The Big Dipper no problem, so you would think it would be no big deal to find the little one. But alas! I blame the city lights. Ha. 😀
3. Speaking of the outside and the weather, the fact that I an actually see the stars is pretty amazing because it’s been cold and cloudy lately. In fact, I was going to mention in another T.O.L. post that I missed the last full moon because of the clouds and I forgot. 🙂 BUT, I’m super excited because although I’ve been psyching myself up for fall (sorry fall-lovers), summer isn’t quite gone yet, and Friday is supposed to be 81°! Ahh, yes! It’s been warming up these last couple days, and it is loooovely!
4. Doesn’t this look like the imprint of a fly?
Or is it just me? A friend from my dad’s carpool has an Asian Pear (aka Apple Pear) tree, and ever since she heard that we loved Asian Pears, she has brought us some every year. I saw this mark on this one pear, and mentioned it to my siblings. They all agreed (which doesn’t happen very often, lol!), so I had to take a picture. 🙂
5. I went to Goodwill’s Labor Day sale, and it. was. crazy! A zoo. My Grandma called it a hairdo. The lines were down the isles, so that we couldn’t finish our shopping! I have never seen so many people in that store before. It was like the entire region came to the sale. It was only 50% off donated apparel, shoes, accessories and furniture or something like that. However, despite the lines, I managed to come away with two tops, a light jacket and a pair of boots.
6. And I spent yesterday afternoon going though my closet and drawers because my closet was getting too full. I didn’t cull out much because I actually do wear most of the things in my closet. But at least now I can get things in and out, and I feel good about my newly organized drawers. 🙂
7. Ok. I almost didn’t share this picture with you because it’s a picture of my bloody finger. But I feel the need to show you what a rubber spatula (or rubber scraper as it’s known here) can do:
Yep. At least, we are pretty sure that’s what happened. I got the rubber scraper out and was working in the kitchen, when I looked down and saw the blood. I hadn’t felt anything, but since the same thing happened to Hannah a few days before with the same rubber scraper, we are almost certain it’s the culprit. That and the fact that I wasn’t working with anything that should have cut me. The rubber scraper in question has a hairline crack in it that you can’t see unless you bend it or are looking really, really closely. Our best guess is that something about the crack is what is cutting our fingers
And I’m telling you, it didn’t just neatly slice my skin…but I’ll leave it at that. I think I’ve grossed you out enough. 🙂 But I just wanted to let you know that silicone can cut you…and it’s pretty painful, too! (Sorry about my nails…I’m stubbornly refusing to remove them even though they are all almost completely off anyway. I’m hoping to paint them soon. Today? Ha. Maybe. We’ll see. 🙂 )
8. Oh, and that band-aid on my thumb? I’ll spare you pictures, but last Friday at my shift, I scraped the skin off my thumb with a nylon leash. Well, I had help from a desperate-for-dinner dog, but it was still my bad. So right now, I have open wounds galore! Not something I aspire to have at any time. 😀
9. When I was little, my parents bought the Bible on tape (yes, like cassette tapes, I am that old?) and we listened to one tape side every day during nap time once we got past napping age. (I’m smiling to myself right now at the whole tape-side thing. Haha!) When tapes started going out, my parents bought the same recording on CD, and ripped it so that we have it digitally. Once I learned to read, I switched to reading, and now I’m back to listening to it, because I can do other things at the same time. I just started Hebrews, and it is magical. I know that’s a weird way to describe a book of the Bible, but especially when I hear the guy who reads Hebrews start in on it, it is like I am in about five different times in my life all wrapped into one. It’s like a time capsule! That book moves me in a powerful way, like no other book in the Bible. Part of this is because, when we were in quizzing, we would use the recording to help solidify the content in our minds. Our first year in Bible Quizzing my siblings were memorizing Hebrews, and that was a very poignant and significant year in my life. Then you add to that the memories I have of myself memorizing Hebrews for quizzing 8 years later. And all the times I’ve read and listened to it in between and since…that book will never be the same for me again! 🙂 And that’s not a bad thing. 😉
10. Speaking of quizzing (<-and I know I’ve started way too many points that way, but I’m thinking out loud, and my brain repeats itself all. the. time.), I saw this on a peach box at Costco, and immediately thought of our quizzing friends from Kingsburg. They
were are? awesome. And they are probably really ancient. Gah. I’m not going to even try to figure it out, because I think I will have a heart-attack. 🙂
Aannnd I guess we came full circle with Costco on both ends, yes?
Have you ever heard of Care Bears?
Can you see the Little Dipper from your backyard?
Did you get anything on a Labor Day sale?