Hello friends! I’m so glad you stopped by! My name is Abbie; I am a 20 year old living at home with my family in the growing town of Maple Valley, Washington.
I decided to start blogging because of a strong desire I have to express myself. I wanted to have a place where people could get to know me for who I was, because at the time, I was feeling pretty invisible. I considered long and hard about whether or not to open a Facebook, but for many reasons, I decided against that. A blog was my next thought, and here I am!
I was plagued at first with the thought that no one would be interested in reading about my life. I kept telling myself that I love lifestyle blogs, and I would read it if it was someone else’s blog. But that wasn’t very encouraging. Then I ran into this quote in my quote journal; in fact, it is the very first entry: “If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent” ~ Author Unknown
I realized how true this was. I am putting myself out there, even though I know I’m not the best bird, if I can make someone’s day a little better, I will be happy!
I am new to blogging, and I have no idea where this journey will take me. I love all kinds of animals, but especially horses and dogs. Because of this, a lot of the content will probably be centered around animals, but I intend to write about other things, too. (I go more into this here.)
If you met me in person, I would be probably be mostly quiet (on the outside at least!) for the first couple interactions. But as I get more comfortable around you, you would probably think I was a totally different person! I am a very thoughtful person, meaning that I like to think. One of the best ways I think is by writing things out. My journal is very familiar with this, and I may do some of that here. It doesn’t necessarily mean I believe something, I am just working through it, and want to hear what other people think.
Here is some more random stuff about me for those of you that are interested:
- Maple Valley is not necessarily where I (or the rest of my family) would choose to live at this point, but we have a house, and we are grateful. My list of places I wish I could live ranges as close to me as Bellevue (or thereabouts), Vancouver (WA) and Eastern Washington, to as far as Georgia, Texas, and Vermont. Of course, I would love to travel to those places, too, but money is kind of an issue, especially when you have so many destinations! That leads me to…
- I love traveling. I really want to see New York City
- I volunteer at the Seattle Humane Society once a week on Fridays. I basically walk, train and socialize the dogs on the adoption floor to make them more “adoptable” I am also a dog foster volunteer with them, although because of the temperaments of our dogs, I mostly do puppies. It is less of a strain on the old man and the old lady (the dogs, not my parents). 😛
- Although most people would consider me an adult, I still feel like a kid inside, which probably will come out. 😛
- I love butterflies, and everything swirly and whimsical. I also love Converse. I’m not sure how those relate. But they were both short things, and I didn’t want them on different lines. :S
- Ever since I was small, I have loved horses, and I am never giving up the dream of sometime having one of my own, even if it never comes true.
- My current dog, Admiral, is a Lab. We were raising him for Guide Dogs for the Blind, but he failed the program, so we got to keep him. I love him to death, despite the fact that he is not the breed I would have picked for myself.
- I love to express myself through photography, especially still-life and nature.
- I love to read, especially anything by N. D. Wilson. I’m pretty sure I qualify as a crazy fan. Although I haven’t read all his books, I can almost guarantee you that I will like them all.
- I have slightly wavy hair, but I love it straightened. Most of the time though, it’s in its natural state and pulled back in a ponytail. ;P
- As you can tell by the above point, I am stuck halfway between a girly-girl, and a cowgirl who lost her ranch. I love painting my nails, but it doesn’t happen very often because I’m fostering puppies, working in the kitchen, or I just forget! Same with earrings. And any other accessory you can think of. (I don’t even own any make-up. It would just sit in the drawer. Except for a wedding or maybe church. But I would probably not want to spend the time on it, and leave it off! ;P )
- I am currently saving for my next dog. For those of you who are interested, I am hoping to get a Whippet. I have done extensive research so far, and will hopefully share my continuing research here. I am very much against backyard breeders, and will only be purchasing a dog from a responsible breeder who knows what they are doing. (I am not an expert, but I would love to give you tips, advice and book recommendations about anything dog related. Or even just explain to you the steps I took in my research. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com)
- I love music, and I listen to it a lot. I am a professional music appreciation associate. (Ok, I made that up. 😀 ) But I listen to music, I don’t play anything. Music is in my blood, and in the past, I put a lot of pressure on myself to learn to play something. Then I realized that that wasn’t me. I didn’t have the passion I would need to get me through the dull and repetitive practices. So I am a listener, and I take my job very seriously! My favorite artists include Brad Paisley (and other family-friendly country music ;P), Casting Crowns, Matthew West, and The Afters. I sprinkle in some kids music from my growing up in there, too, because what would life be without Sharon, Lois & Bram, Red Grammer and Fred Penner!
- I was homeschooled, and I am very grateful to my parents for making sacrifices to make that happen. From all the people I’ve met, not one liked school, but I have the privilege to say that school was fun, and I have my Mom to thank for that! I love to learn, and I am always striving to gain more knowledge and understanding. Whether I remember it or not is another question! 😀
- I have a really bad memory, and a really good memory. It is steadily getting worse, but there are things from when I was younger that are emblazoned in my memory. I remember weird facts about things that happened to me (names of people, who was at a party, where the party was, what was served, games we played (sometimes who won), other things we did together, etc.) I am horrible at remembering pretty much anything academic. That’s my sister, Grace’s job. She remembers the battle dates, kings of England – in what order – word definitions, math principles, grammar, and, um, and all the other stuff I’m forgetting right now. ;P I can’t even keep track of what all she remembers. Of course, neither of us have a perfect memory (especially now…I know, I’m WAY to young to be saying that!), and we get things wrong more often than legend tells. 😀
- Last but certainly not least, I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I do not intend this blog as a platform to push my religion on people; however, as I have already stated, I want to be open and honest with you, and my faith is a part of me.
If you have any kind of question, suggestion, or just need someone to talk to, please feel free to contact me! I would love to hear from you! You can reach me at cracksinthefence[at]outlook.com.
* Ariana Johnson is a friend of mine who is an awesome photographer. She puts you at ease, and makes you feel beautiful, and takes gorgeous pictures! Check out her website here!