Hey guys! I was so excited when Sarah from Sarah Learns Life nominated me for the Blogger Recognition award. Thank you so much for your nomination, Sarah! (You can check out her post where she nominated me here.)
- Thank whoever nominated you and include a link to their blog
- Write a post and give a brief story of how your blog started
- Give a piece of advice or two to new bloggers
- Select 15 other blogs you want to give the award to
- Let the nominees know you have nominated them and provide a link to the nomination details.
So, as for the story of how my blog started, I’ve already written about it a bit in my “about the blog” page, but I’ll try and write something that goes into more detail, but isn’t too long. 😀
I don’t even know where to start. About two years ago, we stopped participating in a program called Bible Quizzing that we had been involved in since I was 8. This meant a sudden cut off from all the casual friends I had in the program, and I didn’t realize how my people tank was being filled through that outlet. Around the same time, we stopped going to our church of the time (still looking for a new one…). Add to this, my sister and I dealing with some health issues, and we ended up kind of knuckling down and recuperating.
At first, it was a bit of a relief to have the freedom of having no social obligations, but as time went on, and my health issues improved, my people tank was sucking on fumes. I considered opening a Facebook, thinking that would help, but for many reasons, I decided against that (which is another whole post), and decided to go with my second option; starting a blog. I wanted a place where I could express myself, and maybe get to know other bloggers in the process!
Once it was official, my family started helping me brainstorm blog name ideas, and my mom came up with Cracks in the Fence. I decided to claim it before I second guessed myself, and before I knew it, I was a blogger!
Ok, I feel like I don’t have much to offer tips-wise, but I do have a couple things I would say to a new blogger:
- You don’t have to be perfect; your posts, pictures, categories, tags, profile picture, what-have-you doesn’t have to be perfect. You can work on getting better, of course, but try not to sweat it too much when you can’t get everything just right, especially when you are just starting out. The person it matters most to is you, so do what’s important to you, and read blogging articles with your blogging goals in mind. (By the way, on the tag front, you might want to keep in mind Sarah’s point. I, at least, had no idea!)
- Make sure blogging is not a chore. Obviously there are times when you have to “force” yourself to do something you love (at least for me), but if you don’t enjoy it, don’t do it! Also, (this is to me, too) your posts can be as short or as long you want (although if it’s super long, you’ll want to keep your readers in mind! 😀 )!
I’m sorry, I tried to get 15, but that’s a lot! Please don’t feel obligated to make a post, but do know that I think you deserve recognition! ❤